Highland Community Church strives to make an impact in and around the Wausau, Weston, Marathon, and Merrill communities. We encourage our staff and our attenders to be active and participate in local events. See the bottom of the page for ongoing opportunities to serve in our community!
Because of the current situation our community and world is facing with the COVID-19 virus, we are going to suspend the collection of items for schools. However, there are lots of ways to reach out to those in your neighborhood and our community; what better time to shine for Jesus than now?
First and foremost, follow the current guidelines set forth by leadership, government, and the CDC. Please be healthy before serving.
- Please consider donating blood at the local blood bank. Please contact the blood bank for specific details or visit their website by clicking here.
- There is a need for hand made face masks to help with the shortage medical personnel are facing. These will be distributed locally as well as statewide . For more information please contact Karen Vandenberg at 715-581-6553, or click here for a detailed instructions of how to make a mask.
- Check on your neighbors; single moms, elderly – what do they need? (supplies, groceries, medications, etc.)
- Cards of encouragement for medical professionals, nursing home workers, and residents, EMT's, police officers; those serving on the front lines.
- “Virtually” tutor kiddos whose parents may be struggling with the online schooling; some parents have to work full time, leaving kids alone to navigate on their own
- Check with local schools or Blessings in a Backpack. They are providing food for those in need – do they need help or donations?
- Offer childcare for a medical professional who can’t miss work
- Share verses of scripture and encouragement on your social media rather than scary statistics and/or stories
- Call friends/family that are around the country – check in often
- Pray with your friends over the phone, facetime, facebook messenger, or on the Marco Polo app. Social distancing doesn’t have to mean social isolation.
Questions about opportunities to make an impact in our community? Contact Janna Janke at