Highland Community Church strives to make an impact in and around the Wausau, Weston, and Marathon communities. We encourage our staff and our attenders to be active and participate in local events. See the bottom of the page for ongoing opportunities to serve in our community!
Here are some upcoming opportunities for you to Connect, Grow, and Go into our community. Watch for updates as each event approaches or contact Janna Janke at for more information.
This summer we have a few opportunities for you to serve:
Highland is going to water and weed the flower gardens at Weston Elementary School again this summer. If you are interested in signing up for a week to serve in this way, please contact Dan MacDonald at
Stuff the Bus! Once again, we will join efforts with the local community to collect necessary school supplies for children in need. On July 28 and August 4 we will collect these items at the Connection Point of each campus. Items we collect will be passed along to the "Fill a Backpack, Fill a Need" program. Children throughout Marathon County will receive donated school supplies to help them prepare for a successful school year. More information will become available in July's Highland Happenings and at the Connection Point.
In August, we will take some time to thank our local law enforcement and Emergency Medical Service workers. On August 4 and 11 we will have coloring sheets for children and cards at the Connection Point for you to write a note of encouragement to our local agencies. Watch for reminders of this opportunity in Highland Happenings.
August 15 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. we will host a blood drive at the Wausau Campus. Please mark your calendars and plan to donate blood; giving can save a life!
Just a few of the other Community Service Opportunities we have participated in:
- Monthly meals provided to the local organizations that serve our community such as Police and Fire Departments and the Women's Community
- Adopt a Classroom at Weston Elementary School
- Stuff the Bus school supply item collection
- Law Enforcement appreciation event
- Collection of clothing and hygiene items for local school children in need
- Preparing and serving a meal for the homeless
- Children and Youth Ministries volunteering at The Neighbors Place
- Youth Ministries yearly spring clean-up efforts at local camps
- Nursing Home visits to play games, carol, and fellowship
- Feed My Starving Children
- Turkey - Thanksgiving Baskets
- Giving Tree Ministry gift program for local children in need
- Operation Christmas Child
- Blessings in a Backpack
- Make a Difference Day
Questions about opportunities to make an impact in our community? Contact Janna Janke at